A week of foraging and sailing around the islands and sea lochs of Scotland’s spectacular west coast with Oliver Beardon of Sail Britain and Mark Williams of Galloway Wild Foods.
Set sail from Oban in 42ft expedition yacht Merlin to explore the coastal foodscapes of Scotland’s wild west coast – foraging, journeying, and eating wild foods. This 7 day adventure is suitable for all levels and combinations of sailing and foraging experience.
Scotland’s coasts are burgeoning with life, and provide diverse habitats for a wide range of delicious, nutritious and medicinal herbs, blossoms, fungi and seaweeds. Mark will guide you through them during our excursions ashore, and lead wild food cookery and preservation workshops. The surrounding seas are also rich habitats for many species of fish, and we will try our hand at a spot of fishing, learning which species are sustainable and which to avoid and how to prepare and cook them. We will also explore wild shellfish, though they are out of season for eating during the summer months.
This is a unique opportunity to learn how to sail while also appreciating the surrounding landscape with new eyes – and taste buds! Mornings and evenings will be spent ashore exploring and foraging, or preparing and preserving our finds on board, with daytime spent harnessing the power of the wind and sailing somewhere new. Sail Britain’s founder Oliver, will be on hand to teach you the ropes and everyone will be involved with the sailing, experiencing the thrill of being at sea, and steering an ocean going yacht through the waves.
Skipper, Oliver Beardon
Oliver is an environmentalist, sailor and ocean advocate. He founded Sail Britain in 2015 to engage people with the importance of the oceans through sailing. As a close knit social activity, sailing is perfect for this and allows people to see the world differently, learn new skills, and make new friends, all with a close connection to nature.
Oliver welcomes people from all backgrounds onto his 42 foot yacht Merlin, and is particularly keen to make sailing more accessible to more people. Oliver facilitates exploring the marine environment from diverse perspectives, from its cultural and historical importance to environmental issues such as marine aquaculture, plastic pollution, climate change, and eroding coastline as well as the cultural importance of our relationship with the sea and the connection between ecological issues and society.
Foraging guide and wild food cook, Mark Williams
Raised in the Hebrides, Mark is deeply entwined with the coastal foodscapes of Western Scotland where he has worked as a fisherman, chef and wild food educator for over 30 years. Under Mark’s guidance, you will learn about what nature provides, how to harvest it responsibly, and how to prepare and eat it. Read more about Mark and Galloway Wild Foods here.
Mark and Oliver, share a passion for connecting with the natural world in ways that are beneficial for physical and mental wellbeing, and the health of the ecosystems of which we are part. We will explore this theme throughout the week through the deep nature connection embodied by foraging and sailing.
- 7 days and 7 nights sailing around some of Scotland’s most stunning coastline (Departing and returning to Oban)
- Remote islands, mountains, remarkable flora, fauna and seaweeds
- Shore based foraging sessions, and wild food cookery and processing sessions on board
- Fully catered to a high level with wild ingredients we will gather along the way, plus lots that have been prepared and brought along. All dietary requirements can be catered for
- Identification, harvesting, medicinal/bushcraft uses and wild cookery of seaweeds, shellfish, coastal plants, and summer fungi with Scotland’s only full-time foraging instructor
- Instruction in sailing and sea craft by highly qualified sailors
- Foraged cocktails, campfire cookery and wild feasting – a chance to fully imbibe a stunning marine landscape
- Suitable for all levels of experience in sailing and/or foraging – including novices
- Comfortable well equipped yacht with an emphasis on single berths
- All sailing kit supplied
- Maximum group size on this trip is 6 clients to 2 sailing guides and 1 foraging guide
- Galloway Wild Foods gift vouchers can be used to pay for this event in whole or in part – quote your voucher code when booking with Sail Britain