A guided meander through the green corridors of Glasgow’s West End exploring the drinks uses of wild plants, inspiration for foraged cocktails, boozy elixirs and all things wild and tipsy. Over the course of a 1 mile walk over 3 hours, you will discover:
- How to find, identify, mindfully harvest and process great plants for cocktail-making
- Tips on building your own wild cocktail cabinet (i’m not talking carpentry here!)
- Endless inspiration for making your own gins, cocktails, schnapps, meads, shrubs, syrups, oxymels, vermouths, amari, bitters, beers, vermouths, wines, hooches and moonshine
- On-the-hoof cocktail mixing – we’ll make the drinks of the walk, on the walk
- Tasters, shots, slurps, mists and some proper refined cocktails
- The Drunken Botany of everyday plants and the hidden alchemy of urban green spaces
- Cocktail hacks and mixing tips from the pros
This walk is highly recommended for bartenders looking to extend their repertoire, as well as playful home sipsters who like sophisticated tipple. We’ll enjoy a fair few drinks on the walk – Don’t bring the car!
Your host, guide and personal bartender for the afternoon will be me, Mark Williams. One third of my life is spent hanging out with the best bartenders in the world (and learning their techniques). Another third is spent consulting with gin producers on the best botanicals for the job. The other half is spent on my gin deck, doing ‘research’ and trying to remember how to do fractions.
You can pay by paypal, debit/credit card or use a Galloway Wild Foods Gift Voucher.
Meeting place: Glasgow West End. Ticket holders will be notified of the exact location in the week prior to the event.
Date: Saturday 8th May 2021
Start time: Arrive in time for a 1pm start
Finish time: Around 5.00pm
Essential: Stout footwear, weather-appropriate clothing, drinking water
Optional: A small basket or cloth bag, notebook, camera,
Please read the IMPORTANT INFORMATION tab on this page before booking and again before setting off for the event.
Sorry, this event is not suitable for dogs or under 18’s.
Please read the following information before booking a Galloway Wild Foods event.
This information applies only to events booked on this website. When booking events involving GWF anywhere other than on this website, the terms and conditions of the vendor apply, which may be different from the following.
Galloway Wild Foods is under no obligation to refund or rebook for no-shows or cancellations within 2 weeks of the event.
In the unlikely event that an event is cancelled by GWF you will receive full refund, exchange or voucher.
The only weather that causes events to be cancelled is dangerous wind. In these instances you will be notified as early as possible.
Please provide the following information for all members of your party in the “Additional Information” box on the payment page :
- Medical conditions
- Mobility issues
- Eating restrictions – differentiating between preferences (e.g. vegetarian), intolerances (e.g. gluten intolerance) and serious allergies (e.g. peanut allergy). All requirements can usually be catered for, but these differentiations are required for risk assessments.
Please ensure that all members of your party come suitably dressed for the weather, season and event.
On all walks, for your comfort and safety, walking boots/wellies, waterproofs and spare clothes are necessary. I always recommend wellies for coastal foraging events – you are likely to get wet feet if you don’t have them!
Please bring your own drinking water.
Your learning and enjoyment may also benefit from bringing a camera, notebook, field guide, small basket/cloth bag. Feel free to bring along any of your own wild food preparations to share and talk about.
My very friendly, calm dog occasionally accompanies me on guided walks. He is not a distraction, and often adds to the entertainment as he tends to like to copy my foraging antics! If you have a specific aversion to dogs, please check with me before booking – I don’t necessarily need to bring him. The one thing that makes him more of a handful is other dogs (he will constantly want to play with them, especially if they are ladies!), so please check in with me first if you might like to bring your own dog.
Please contact mark on email@example.com or 07900 692 478 if you have specific questions that are not answered here, or if you are running late on the day.