CORONA VIRUS: PLEASE SEE ARISAIG SEA KAYAK CENTRE ADVICE HERE
Paddle, explore, forage, taste and generally immerse (but hopefully not submerge!) yourself in the stunning edible landscape of a remote Scottish island…
Sunday 31st May – Wednesday 3rd June 2020
Admiring the Rum cuillin from one of Canna’s stunning beaches
I’m super-excited to be teaming up with my friends at Arisaig Sea Kayak Centre again to offer this fantastic experience:
- Paddling, wild camping, coastal foraging and wild gastronomy around the beautiful, remote Isle of Canna, off Scotland’s wild west coast.
- White sands, mountains, big tides, remarkable flora, fauna and seaweeds.
- 4 day trip with easy paddling (suitable for novices) and foraging sessions in multiple habitats, including rocky coast, sandy shore, salt marsh, coastal machair, deciduous woodlands and maritime hedgerows
- Accommodation in wooden pods with spectacular sea views (included in price)
- Identification, harvesting, medicinal/bushcraft uses and wild cookery of seaweeds, shellfish, coastal plants, woodland plants and hedgerow plants with Scotland’s leading foraging instructor.
- Instruction in safe sea kayaking from highly qualified instructors.
- Paddling adventures – huge cliffs, sea caves and remote coastline
- Foraged cocktails, campfire cookery and wild feasting – a chance to fully imbibe a stunning marine landscape. In addition to the foraged ingredients we will source wild Canna lobster, crab and rabbit, and those that wish can learn to prepare and cook them on an open fire. This is not compulsory and all dietaries can be catered for. (All meals are included in the price).
- Perfectly suitable for novice paddlers as full sea kayaking kit and tuition will be given, or for more experienced kayakers wanting to learn more about foraging.
Barbecued Canna lobster with dulse butter and coriander grass
£690 per person which includes ferry travel to Canna, kayak, gear, all food, drinks, pod accommodation, paddling and foraging instruction.
Further information, booking and all enquiries via Arisaig Sea Kayak Centre website.
If you wish to apply a Galloway Wild Foods gift voucher to this event, contact Arisaig Sea Kayak Centre and quote the voucher code.
Wild Maritime Salad
Looking for a shorter paddling and foraging trip?
Click image for details of our 3 day wild kayak and foraging trip
Please read the following information before booking a Galloway Wild Foods event.
This information applies only to events booked on this website. When booking events involving GWF anywhere other than on this website, the terms and conditions of the vendor apply, which may be different from the following.
Galloway Wild Foods is under no obligation to refund or rebook for no-shows or cancellations within 2 weeks of the event.
In the unlikely event that an event is cancelled by GWF you will receive full refund, exchange or voucher.
The only weather that causes events to be cancelled is dangerous wind. In these instances you will be notified as early as possible.
Please provide the following information for all members of your party in the “Additional Information” box on the payment page :
- Medical conditions
- Mobility issues
- Eating restrictions – differentiating between preferences (e.g. vegetarian), intolerances (e.g. gluten intolerance) and serious allergies (e.g. peanut allergy). All requirements can usually be catered for, but these differentiations are required for risk assessments.
Please ensure that all members of your party come suitably dressed for the weather, season and event.
On all walks, for your comfort and safety, walking boots/wellies, waterproofs and spare clothes are necessary. I always recommend wellies for coastal foraging events – you are likely to get wet feet if you don’t have them!
Please bring your own drinking water.
Your learning and enjoyment may also benefit from bringing a camera, notebook, field guide, small basket/cloth bag. Feel free to bring along any of your own wild food preparations to share and talk about.
My very friendly, calm dog occasionally accompanies me on guided walks. He is not a distraction, and often adds to the entertainment as he tends to like to copy my foraging antics! If you have a specific aversion to dogs, please check with me before booking – I don’t necessarily need to bring him. The one thing that makes him more of a handful is other dogs (he will constantly want to play with them, especially if they are ladies!), so please check in with me first if you might like to bring your own dog.
Please contact mark on firstname.lastname@example.org or 07900 692 478 if you have specific questions that are not answered here, or if you are running late on the day.